Head of Legal and Compliance – Oxford
Last updated on 13/02/2020
Sector: Financial Services
OU Endowment Management Ltd (OUem) is a commercial subsidiary of the University of Oxford. Set up initially to manage the long- term endowment of the University, we have expanded our business over the last 10 years and now manage over £4bn in assets for over 30 different charitable investors. Our main product is the Oxford Endowment Fund, an unregulated charitable unit trust and Alternative Investment Fund.
The OUem team of 24 is small and reflects our culture well: we have a strong work ethic, strive for excellence and take tremendous pride in supporting the work of our investors through our investment performance. Our investment approach is long term and globally diversified and we seek to partner with outstanding investment talent. We do not manage to benchmarks, rather we focus on long term investment themes and business fundamentals.
A new position has been created at OUem for a Head of Legal and Compliance.
- Reporting directly to the COO, the position will work closely with the business, internal investment directors, external parties (including external counsel) and industry regulators.
- Assessing and advising on the legal and compliance risks arising in the business and recommending an appropriate course of action and strategies to manage these risks.
- Supporting the COO with clear cascading and monitoring of a robust and relevant risk and compliance framework across the business.
- Advise in relation to contracts, financial services regulation and day to day operational matters such as employment issues and Freedom of information Act requests.
- Drafting, amending and negotiating agreements including supplier, investment management, NDAs, ISDAs.
- Advising on the impact of FCA regulations, Data Privacy, Anti-bribery and Ethics.
- Maintenance and updating of fund documentation in line with relevant laws and investment policies.
- Overseeing and ensuring full compliance of insurances including D&O and PII.
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister, under UK law.
- Minimum of seven years* post qualification experience.
- Excellent University degree, minimum 2:1.
- Experience working for an investment management business or advising clients in the fund management sector.
- Detailed knowledge and ability to draft investment and other commercial agreements, including ISDAs, NDAs, Terms of Business.
- Sound knowledge of the UK financial regulatory environment.
- Extensive prior experience of handling compliance matters for a financial services business.
- Understanding of Freedom of Information Act.
- Capability to communicate clearly and concisely (verbal and written).
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills, with the ability to work effectively with people at all organisational levels and to influence and persuade others in a constructive manner.
- A self-starter who is comfortable working in a niche environment.
- A good sense of humour.
Package on offer:
- Attractive salary
- Excellent (USS) pension scheme
- Life assurance
- 29 days holiday (Plus Bank Holidays)
- Private medical insurance
- Potential to earn discretionary variable remuneration (Bonus)
OUem’s office is based within 5 minutes’ walk of Oxford train station. Flexible working, including some homeworking will be considered.
If you are interested in applying to this position, please forward an up-to-date copy of your CV to our retained consultant Jacqui Douglas at McKenzie Douglas, email@example.com. Any direct or third party applications will be forwarded to McKenzie Douglas for consideration. If you would like to discuss the position in more detail, please call Jacqui on 01539 446666.
*All candidates will be considered on merit
By submitting a job application to us, you agree to the storage of your personal data by Mckenzie Douglas. This information may have been provided by you directly or collected from generally accessible sources (e.g. professional and social media sites) throughout the entire application process. To facilitate Mckenzie Douglas carrying out recruitment services on your behalf, you agree to your data being saved after the application process has ended. You may revoke your consent to this agreement at any time. The Data Protection Act 1998 and the GDPR give you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act and GDPR. Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.